Beyond the Iraq Study Group: The Elusive Goal of Sustained Growth; Strategic Insights, v. 6, issue 2 (March 2007)
MetadataShow full item record
Since its release in early December 2006, the Iraq Study Group’s (ISG) military, political and diplomatic recommendations have generated wide-spread discussions. Unfortunately, the country’s economic recovery has received considerably less attention. Yet the country’s economic situation is quite dire. The ISG correctly notes that: (a) instead of meeting a target of 10 percent growth for 2006 only 4 percent was attained, (b) inflation is above 50 percent, (c) estimates of unemployment range from 20 to 60 percent, and (d) foreign investment is less than 1 percent of gross domestic product. In many regards the economic situation today has deteriorated from that under Saddam. In short “Too many Iraqis do not see tangible improvements in their economic situation.”
This article appeared in Strategic Insights, v.6, issue 2 (March 2007)
RightsThis publication is a work of the U.S. Government as defined in Title 17, United States Code, Section 101. Copyright protection is not available for this work in the United States.
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
Armstrong, John M. (Monterey, California. Naval Postgraduate School, 2009-06);The U.S. is the largest single contributor to the UN budget. U.S. funding consists of assessed contributions (approximately 70 percent) and voluntary contributions (the remaining 30 percent). The U.S. share of the regular ...
Automated satellite cloud analysis: a multispectral approach to the problem of snow/cloud discrimination Allen, Robert C. Jr. (1987-06);An algorithm is developed and evaluated for discriminating among clouds, snow cover and clear land. The multispectral technique uses daytime images of AVHRR channels 1 (0.63^m). 3 (3.7jim) and 4 (11.0[im). Reflectance ...
Looney, R.E. (1994);The textile industry in Pakistan is one of great significance for its contribution to employment and exports. The production of cotton textiles predominates, despite the existence of a large jute industry, and increasingly ...