U.S. budgeting for the United Nations process, policy and problems
Armstrong, John M.
MetadataShow full item record
The U.S. is the largest single contributor to the UN budget. U.S. funding consists of assessed contributions (approximately 70 percent) and voluntary contributions (the remaining 30 percent). The U.S. share of the regular UN budget, part of assessed contributions, has been lowered on three occasions, from 39 percent in 1946 to 32 percent in 1954, to 25 percent in 1973, and to 22 percent in 2001. As of 1992, the U.S. contributed more money to UN peacekeeping than in regular dues. In 1973 the UN instituted separate assessments for peacekeeping missions. The U.S. was assessed between 30 and 31 percent for peacekeeping dues until 2001, when the assessment was lowered to 28 percent and in 2009 to just below 26 percent. The Senate Foreign Relations Committee, House International Relations Committee, and the Senate and House Appropriations Committees play the critical roles in determining U.S. funding for the UN. UN procurement and internal management reform, abortion, the Human Rights Council, and the degree of U.S. influence in the UN have been significant factors affecting congressional funding decisions. Attempts to withhold funding to influence UN policy have produced mixed results.
Approved for public release, distribution unlimited
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
Apte, Uday M.; Nath, Hiranya K. (2007);This paper presents the results of our empirical research in measuring the size and structure of the US information economy in 1992 and 1997, and in assessing the growth experienced by different industries and sectors ...
M., A.; Allen, Jacob A.; Graham, Larry P. (Monterey, California: Naval Postgraduate School, 2016-06);As of 2016, 12 percent of the world's population lives in 36 megacities. By 2030, experts estimate that 17 mega regions, hosting 60 percent of the world's population, will account for 75 percent of global GDP. Megacities ...
Increasing competitive actions: a focus on technical data rights associated with non-commercial hardware items Liedke, Eric J.; Simonis, Jeffrey D. (Monterey, California: Naval Postgraduate School, 2014-06);This project reviewed the key laws and the Department of Defense’s (DOD’s) current policies pertaining to competition and the acquisition of technical data rights, as it applies to non-commercial hardware items. Competition ...